..."Let all you do, be done in Love"

1 Corinthians 16:4

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Lost In Translation





Today is a profound day. My mom called me earlier elated that she and my father had just upgraded to use the Text function on their cell phones. You see, my parents are so far behind on the technological curve, that this is an unforseen advancement. It made me realize how much people rely on text messages these days, and if not that, then a quick unpersonal email on their Blackberry or Iphone. Young people especially are becoming more and more unemotional in their communication. The thought of a hand-written note is unimaginable! So, then I realized my own reliance on quick fufillment. I just texted a friend about our next class...why did I not take the extra 10seconds to call her? Everything in our lives is revolved around speed and efficiency to get it done, without wasting time. As I left the confines of my afternoon class, I was consumed in Dallas' spring sun taunting my bare shoulders, and in that moment, I wanted to waste time. That is why I think we all need to slow down to take a second glimpse at the beauty in everyday life. And sometimes, just sometimes we need to take the long way home.

No comments: